LEBIH LANJUT KLIK SUMBER.
Anwar and Pakatan’s tune on Israel
WED, 09 JUN 2010 22:20
By G Krishnan
COMMENT Pakatan Rakyat and Barisan Nasional, especially Umno, have made a big production out of the recent flotilla issue involving Israel. In the aftermath of the violence that unfolded off the Mediterranean the coast of Gaza, both political factions have attempted to play up the anti-Israeli rhetoric and to capitalise on the incident.
Naturally, much of the theatre that unfolded was catered for domestic consumption. Indeed, both camps seem to be falling over each other trying to make the most out of the Israeli government’s actions against the flotilla, and once again trying to score political points out of the Palestinian-Israeli stand-off.
Not wanting to be outdone by the Barisan Nasional, Anwar Ibrahim, like a boxer trying to counter-punch his opponent, has been trying to keep the tussle with the prime minister going by levelling criticisms at the latter’s response to the Israeli raid. In many respects, I am rather disappointed by Anwar’s exhibitionism on this front. It is, to say the least, utterly disappointing.
It is not surprising to see Umno playing up its anti-Israel and even anti-Semitic tendencies every chance it gets. After all, there is a long legacy of doing just so in Umno. At times, this Umno-led, anti-Semitic propaganda has served it well to galvanise support for the government against a faraway villain that ultimately doesn’t represent a threat to Umno in any way whatsoever. On other occasions, the anti-Semitism serves to temporarily divert attention from Umno’s domestic troubles.
At the end of the day, it is the persistence of a political narrative which, inevitably, has as its central premise the demonisation of Israel. In this case, the centre of the controversy stems from Israel’s blockade of Hamas-controlled Gaza.
The critics of the blockade do not appear to have raised a hue and cry over Egypt’s role in enforcing it. Yes, the same Egypt, which, along with Turkey, is a member of the Organisation of Islamic Conference – to which the Palestinian Authority also belongs.
Egypt, too, in other words, has actively imposed a blockade on Hamas-controlled Gaza by closing the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt. Such are the realities of the region, not to mention the realities of supposed Arab brotherhood itself.
Why no protest at Egypt Embassy? - CUBA LIHAT SINI
Let us just take note that the Israeli blockade would not, from the Israeli standpoint, be as effective if their action was not being complemented by contributions of the Palestinian fellow Arab brethren.
What, one has to wonder, could be the Egyptians’ motivation for aiding and abetting the Jewish state in its supposed efforts to punish the Hamas regime, which happens to be hell-bent on the destruction of Israel?
Cerita Dolu Dolu
- ► 2013 (15)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (346)
June 6 - June 13
- Siasatan kes PKFZ rahsia - SPRM
- Kerajaan Umno-BN Lepas Tangan, Hutan Simpan Dicero...
- TAK KONSISTEN KATA DATUK SERI HISHAMUDDIN
- KAH KAH KAH
- Karpal Dibebas Daripada Tuduhan Menghasut
- TAHNIAH TAJUL DAN WAFA
- Akibat judi, dapur tidak berasap - NI contoh JKKK...
- WORLD CUP! WORLD CUP!
- MCA says new Parliament building a waste of money
- BERITA AFP - BILA CAMBODIA SOKONG PAKATAN RAKYAT N...
- KECOH FASAL ASCOT, AWANG ADEK LEPAS TANGAN.
- DENGARLAH NASIHAT 'PAKAR' EKONOMI TERBARU MALAYSIA...
- GST kekal empat peratus
- Darjah Kebesaran Johor Jui Meng Ditarik Balik Tanp...
- RETHINK ANTI ISRAEL RALLY
- PM Akan Membentangkan RMK10, 11.30 Pagi
- KM TAIB MAHMUD pun TAK BAGI.
- MARI TENGOK TAJUK BERITA 10 JUN 2010 (Macam RTM 1 ...
- Bagaimana Berita di PUTAR BELIT kan
- Ganjaran Jika Tangkap Pencuri Pasir, Kerajaan Sela...
- Kuasa Pendakwaan Harus Diberi Kepada Ketua Pesuruh...
- Mesir Diminta Buka Sempadan Rafah
- Tengok Betapa Ruginya - Akibat Takde Lesen.
- Parlimen Baru RM800 Juta Di Putrajaya?
- STATEMENT DAMAGE CONTROL YANG TERLEWAT
- Isu lesen judi mengelirukan
- MELELEH BEB, BANYAK TAK MASYUK - TU NAK HALALKAN K...
- SELAMATKAH ASKAR TLDM KITA?
- RM3 billion beb..... perkhidmatan BROADBAND bakal ...
- KALAU HUTAN AMPANG GONDOL MB TAK MB.....
- APA BEZA DGN KAT MALAYSIA?
- TAKDE SYOR - JUDI MEMANG HARAM TAKDE JUDI HALAL - ...
- Anifah: Blok minyak hak Brunei tapi Malaysia kongs...
- Kempen hari Isnin tanpa beg plastik dilancar di Ko...
- DUA BERITA BERTENTANGAN - SAPA TIPU? VINCENT TAN?
- ISRAEL DAN BANTUAN KE GAZA
- Bersatu tentang Zionis: MB - KAH KAH KAH
- DUA LAPORAN BERITA - SATU UTUSAN MELAYAU SATU TV S...
- Mufti Selangor : Judi Harus Diperangi
- Aktivis naiki Rachel Corrie dihantar pulang
- Enam lagi aktivis dibebaskan
- VITAMIN B17 dan PENAWAR KANSER
- Vietnam tangguh kunjungan Shimon Peres ke Hanoi
- Israel seizes another aid ship
- ▼ June 6 - June 13 (44)
- ► 2009 (54)
- ► 2008 (13)
- ► 2007 (10)
- ► 2006 (18)
- ► 2005 (83)