Awang Adek passes the buck to new deputy on Ascot fiasco
SUMBER - WED, 09 JUN 2010 14:26 By Syed Jaymal Zahiid
KUALA LUMPUR: Deputy Finance Minister Dr Awang Adek Hussein remain muted over the sports betting licence fiasco, passing the buck instead to newly minted Second Deputy Finance Minister Donald Lim.
"No, no comment. You can ask Donald Lim... he knows," said Awang Adek before abruptly escaping from a group of reporters in Parliament here.
(Terjemahannya : "Dok, dok sey komen. Mu gi tanyo Donald Lim... dia gheti" kata Awang Adek sebelum menyelamatkan diri dari kepungan media di Parlimen.) AHAK AHAK AHAK
The government in a confusing statement said two days ago that it has not given the sports betting licence to Ascot Sports Sdn Bhd, a company belonging to influential tycoon Vincent Tan.
The revelation was made through a written reply by the ministry of finance, which stated that the government has yet to issue the licence.
"The government has not issued or given the [sports betting] licence to Ascot to operate betting bookies in Malaysia.
"The government has also yet to finalise any discussions on the licensing terms and conditions with Ascot Sports," read the statement
It was Awang Adek who recently revealed the government plans to legalise sports betting, allegedly to curb illegal bookies in light of the coming World Cup tournament.
But yesterday DAP leader Tony Pua distributed copies of the proposal made by Berjaya Corporation Bhd, Tan's flagship company, in Parliament as proof that Ascot Sports was given the licence.
Pua, the Petaling Jaya Utara MP, said this was a blatant contradiction to the statement issued by the finance ministry.
DAP wants Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak to be referred to the Rights and Privileges Committee for allegedly misleading Parliament following the fiasco.
The party's Youth chief Anthony Loke is leading Pakatan Rakyat's anti-gambling task force.
The opposition coalition claims that legalising sports betting would encourage gambling to the detriment of society.
The government is reported to have incurred losses of hundreds of millions in revenues over illegal bookies.
Legalising sports betting would help tap into the lucrative industry, but the opposition says the move only shows that the government is willing to sacrifice morality to replenish drying state coffers.
Cerita Dolu Dolu
- ► 2013 (15)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (346)
June 6 - June 13
- Siasatan kes PKFZ rahsia - SPRM
- Kerajaan Umno-BN Lepas Tangan, Hutan Simpan Dicero...
- TAK KONSISTEN KATA DATUK SERI HISHAMUDDIN
- KAH KAH KAH
- Karpal Dibebas Daripada Tuduhan Menghasut
- TAHNIAH TAJUL DAN WAFA
- Akibat judi, dapur tidak berasap - NI contoh JKKK...
- WORLD CUP! WORLD CUP!
- MCA says new Parliament building a waste of money
- BERITA AFP - BILA CAMBODIA SOKONG PAKATAN RAKYAT N...
- KECOH FASAL ASCOT, AWANG ADEK LEPAS TANGAN.
- DENGARLAH NASIHAT 'PAKAR' EKONOMI TERBARU MALAYSIA...
- GST kekal empat peratus
- Darjah Kebesaran Johor Jui Meng Ditarik Balik Tanp...
- RETHINK ANTI ISRAEL RALLY
- PM Akan Membentangkan RMK10, 11.30 Pagi
- KM TAIB MAHMUD pun TAK BAGI.
- MARI TENGOK TAJUK BERITA 10 JUN 2010 (Macam RTM 1 ...
- Bagaimana Berita di PUTAR BELIT kan
- Ganjaran Jika Tangkap Pencuri Pasir, Kerajaan Sela...
- Kuasa Pendakwaan Harus Diberi Kepada Ketua Pesuruh...
- Mesir Diminta Buka Sempadan Rafah
- Tengok Betapa Ruginya - Akibat Takde Lesen.
- Parlimen Baru RM800 Juta Di Putrajaya?
- STATEMENT DAMAGE CONTROL YANG TERLEWAT
- Isu lesen judi mengelirukan
- MELELEH BEB, BANYAK TAK MASYUK - TU NAK HALALKAN K...
- SELAMATKAH ASKAR TLDM KITA?
- RM3 billion beb..... perkhidmatan BROADBAND bakal ...
- KALAU HUTAN AMPANG GONDOL MB TAK MB.....
- APA BEZA DGN KAT MALAYSIA?
- TAKDE SYOR - JUDI MEMANG HARAM TAKDE JUDI HALAL - ...
- Anifah: Blok minyak hak Brunei tapi Malaysia kongs...
- Kempen hari Isnin tanpa beg plastik dilancar di Ko...
- DUA BERITA BERTENTANGAN - SAPA TIPU? VINCENT TAN?
- ISRAEL DAN BANTUAN KE GAZA
- Bersatu tentang Zionis: MB - KAH KAH KAH
- DUA LAPORAN BERITA - SATU UTUSAN MELAYAU SATU TV S...
- Mufti Selangor : Judi Harus Diperangi
- Aktivis naiki Rachel Corrie dihantar pulang
- Enam lagi aktivis dibebaskan
- VITAMIN B17 dan PENAWAR KANSER
- Vietnam tangguh kunjungan Shimon Peres ke Hanoi
- Israel seizes another aid ship
- ▼ June 6 - June 13 (44)
- ► 2009 (54)
- ► 2008 (13)
- ► 2007 (10)
- ► 2006 (18)
- ► 2005 (83)